Question

FLOUR, FRUIT AND DIETICIAN
What flour is best to cook with (e.g.. a white sauce) if you have ibs and is soy flour an option. I can eat whole-wheat bread without feeling cramps but white bread kills me. Why is this? I have replaced onions in my diet with chives but I'm not sure if this is better. I have also replaced chili sauce with mustard sauce also not knowing if this is a better alternative with a spastic colon. I went to a dietician and all she did was give me a piece of paper with high gi and low gi foods on and told me to avoid the hi gi foods - to my disgust. Do you know anyone in Pretoria that can be a little more helpful?

I've also stopped eating dried fruit and nuts and replaced it with fresh fruit. I miss the crunch though. Is there something crunchy I can replace the nuts with?

Dear Reader
I don't think that soy flour will give you the desired thickening effects you get from wheat flour. You could try using maizena (which is made from maize, instead) of wheat because it has excellent thickening properties. The reaction to foods can be very individualistic - but the white bread could be causing constipation, hence the cramps. Generally speaking, all the members of the onion family can cause gas buildup, so keep a check on how you react to the chives. If you find that very spicy foods like chili and mustard give you discomfort, then it is a good idea to avoid them all. To find another dietitian in your area phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) and they will supply you with the details. Crunchy foods could include carrot and celery sticks, wholewheat products, crisp breads and rice cakes - however, you need to gauge your reaction to the latter 3 in case you get symptoms.