Ask an expert

17 Sep 2009

I have caughtt the flu for the first time in 4 years (I have had the flu injection for the last 4 years)

Is tthe only option for mediaction to go to my doctor at a cost of R 250 ?

Is there some type of antibiotic that can be sipplied by a Pharmasist ?
Answer 327 views

01 Jan 0001

Hallo Brian
Flu is a viral infection and you don't need antibiotics unless you have secondary infection like sinusitis or bronchitis. You can treat with mucolytic like Bronkese to loosen phlegm, a decongestant and nosedrops, something like Viral Choice C, and something for pain and fever like Panado/Disprin. Stay in bed and don't exercise if you have muscle aches and pains. If you cough up coloured (green/yellow) phlegm, are short of breath or have severe diarrhoea or vomiting, you need to see a doctor.
Dr Bets
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9322 votes
67% - 18699 votes