Question

Flu and operation
My 16 month old is due for a tear duct opening operation/procedure on the 5th Jan 05. She started with the flu on Saturday, running nose, wet cough, restless at night, doctor gave her lots of meds and a course of antibiotics to make sure her ear infection clears up, also has a touch of tonsilitis. She already seems to be getting better. My question is: the 5th Jan not too soon for her to be going under general anesthetic for the eye op? if she is 100 % better by then can we rest assured that she can have the op or should the doctor first examine her and decide? should she still have a bit of a cough does this mean we must delay it further? Pls advise i am so worried about my little girl going under anaethetic, i know its a small op but still, I cannot sleep with worry and will worry the whole festive about this op. HEr having flu makes me feel worse.

Last question: Does an anihistamine lower the child's immunity at all? my girl is on chronic anti histamine, Adco something or the other for 3 months, i need to take her for her MMR soon after the op and have been told that the antihistamine will lower her immunity and therefore need to stop it a while before the vaccine, is this true, i remember you replied to another reader of a similar query but we cannot find the answer you gave.

MERRY XMAS MAY YOU HAVE MANY BLESSINGS IN 2005 AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE!

Bibs, your little girl should be OK for an operation before Christmas so don’t worry. You have to remember that in an emergency they will give you anaesthetic no matter how sick you are and very few of those people have problems due to the anaesthetic.
An antihistamine cancels out the effect of histamine – it doesn’t affect your immunity in any way. Histamine does not play a role in the reaction that follows after an MMR injection except if you’re allergic to the MMR and then the antihistamine might be beneficial.
Hope you have a blessed Christmas too and a 2005 without worries. :-)