Question

fluanxol .5mg
Hi Dr

Today my GP prescribed fluanxol .5mg for 14 days as I haven''t been coping too well recently. Have had a lot of stress over the past 8 months. It has all become too much now. However I googled the side effects and noted not to be given if suffering from hypothyroid. I am on eltroxin and have hashimotos hypothyroid so I wonder why he gave it to me?

I wonder, too. I would be cautious - and I guess as your GP he would know all about your thyroid problems ; maybe he didn't know about the warning to be cautious in using Fluanxol in this situation.
Fluanxol is an odd drug, and can be used as a mild sedative when one is highly anxious, and has less potential for producing dependency if one stays on it long-term. There are alternatives, so maybe give him a ring and ask about this caution you have read. Maybe ask the pharmacist, too. I don't think there is a high risk of severe problems, but its best to be cautious.
Counselling, especially of the CBT form, can be so useful in dealing with stress and anxiety.