Question

Fluanxol and fluoxetine
Sorry, I just have to clarify something about the fluanxol and fluoxetine. In the package insert on fluoxetine it says that you cannot take fluoxetine with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor because it can be fatal. On the package insert for fluanxol it says something about monoamine. Unfortunately Im not a doctor and was wondering if I can take this medication with fluoxetine. My shrink has given it to me because I am a bit out of control sometimes where I might hurt myself. I thought sulpiride would have been fine. Please give me your opinion.

Yes, the combination should cause no problems, as neither of the drugs you mention are monoamine ixidase inhibitors ( which, for obvious reasons, we call MAOI's). The MAOI drugs for which those warnings are intended are very rarely used these days ; one modern MAOI has much less risk, but should only be used with very careful decision by a psychiatrist, when it is to be combined with other drugs. So relax, both drugs should be fine and that warning doesn't apply to them