Question

Fluctuating heart rate
I'm 18 and my resting heart rate is 70 bpm. I find that when ever I do any excercise my heart rate rapidly increases, it rises to about 160 bpm within the first minute doing a warm up cycle. And then when I increase the intensity it drops back to about 90 bpm and flutuates between these two extremes for the rest of the cycle while maintaining the same intensity.

I was wondering if this is normal or whether there is some other underlying problem?

Hi Juli

This sounds very odd. It is normal for your heart rate to rise quite substantially on commencing exercise and then to drop slightly as your body warms up, but it certainly should drop back to 90. One would expect it perhaps to be in the range of perhaps 140 - 160bpm.

How are you measuring your heart rate - since some of the machines in gyms are faulty and do not record heart rate accurately? If you are certain that this is an accurate reflection of your heart rate, I would recommend you visit a doctor, who if he/she sees fit, might want you to have an exercise stress test, where they look at heart function during an exercise test.

Good luck.