Question

folic acid and petrix supplement
i have just visited my gynae recently and was told to take folic acid and a petrix supplement(white & brown tablet) since i am trying to conceive please can u advise about these supplements i would really be grateful.
fertility expert

dear Farah

The use of supplements, broadly speaking, is not a treatment for fertility problems as such. If an individual has a healthy diet, then supplementation is not absolutely necessary. However, such supplements will not pose any harm, but the benefits are not truly amenable to evaluation per se. Certain trace elements, such as selenium, has been known to improve the oocyte quality and enhance fertility prospects. The use of folic acid may prevent miscarriages and also embryopathy, ie abnormalities in the embryo such as neural tube defects. However, I would like to re-emphasise that supplementation is of minimal value in treating fertility problems in general.