Question

Follow up
Hi Doc,

Thanks alot for your previous reply. I have not gone to have my thyroid function checked yet, but I did go for another BP check and this time, it was 100/70 for two consecutive times. This the Dr. said was good, and am happy about it. Then only worry right now is that everytime am about to leave the house for work, or leave the office for home, I start to fear coz I hate to walk alone, and at these moments, I feel my heart beating near my throat, but as soon as home, the feeling disappears. The Dr. listened to my heart and said the volume is normal, and the pulse is normal.
Please advise.
HeartDoc

Dear Kami,

The news of your BP is good indeed, and makes it quite likely that your thyroid function will turn out to be normal. However, if your BP does misbehave again, then do go for the test.

Remember that anxiety or fear is a powerful stimulant for the release of adrenalin, in preparation for the anticipated danger. Part of the effects of adrenalin is to raise your pulse rate, and increase your breathing rate – getting you ready to “fight or flee”. So, at times when you are anxious, it is perfectly normal for your heart to race. The fact that this happens when you feel scared, and that it normalises when you get home, supports this. What I’m saying is that your heart is actually behaving perfectly normally under the circumstances.

Your fear is not unreasonable. Perhaps you could re-arrange things so you don’t have to walk home alone?

Good luck, and thank you for the feedback, it is very much appreciated.

HeartDoc