Question

Follow-up Dr. Appt
I posted prior about OCD, vs, GAD, VS, Obsessive Personality. The new psychiatrist I saw thinks I have OCD more so, with mainly obsessions. I have read about this, purely- O, OCD. But with this, the obsessions or worries are unwanted thoughts, like fear of harming others, "impure" thoughts etc, and instead of rituals, they ruminate. My thoughts are not unwanted or intrusive as in OCD, they are "what if" worries, things that are more likely to happen, I have no fear of harming others, or unwanted sexual thoughts or images. It is not important for me to have an exact diagnosis, and I agree with your other reply, things can over lap, but I need to have the right cognitive therapy. For OCD, sometimes they tell you to face the thought, with GAD they try to stop the thought. Since I overlap, a bit, how should we focus in therapy? The new doc wants me to try an anti-dep, which I am willing to do, and now that I am done having children, I would have no problem remaining on a med -long term- if need be. I also got quite upset at my visit discussing my mother who passed away years ago, and my somewhat unstable childhood. I think my therapy needs to address these issues as well, as I need to heal over that stuff, before I can make a good effort to work on my coping skills. Whew, there's a lot of work. I have to remain positive. Please let me know what you think about the importance of my obsessions, so it's one less thing I have to obsess about.

Sounds as though you are busy obsessing ab out the OCD diagnosis. But I can't tell you how to focus within your therapy --- that is something that must be negotiated and discussed with your own therapist. Some antidepressants can help obsessional symp[toms usefully, and CBT style therapy is also very helpful, with the combination possibly better.