Ask an expert

25 Jul 2011

food aggression
Hi There,
Please can you help as I am at a loss of how to fix my 6 month old JR pup''s aggression towards other dogs around food. He is perfectly well behaved with people around foor, I can put my hands in his bowl while he is eating and he backs off and waits for me to move my hand, I can tug on his ears and tail and play with his feet while eating and there is no problem. He sits and waits at a respectful distance for me to tell him its ok to go to his bowl and eat. The problem comes if there is another dog around while I am preparing the food or have a treat in my hand, he will suddenly and vicously attack the other dog for no apparant reason. He has been neutered, so how do I stop this behaviour?
Answer 403 views
Dog Behaviour Expert
Dog Behaviour Expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Jo, this is not an easy one to solve via a forum and I really would suggest that you get in a professional to assist you. The trouble with aggression like this, is that it can escalate very quickly and also start to be shown towards objects and the dog can even start viewing you as a resource and acting reactively towards the other dogs around you. This can easily be solved with a combination of operant and counter conditioning and desensitization, but you need somebody to come in and show you how and the sooner the better.
Util you get sombody in, I would suggest that you feed the dogs totally seperately, in seperate rooms and dont have any food on you when the dogs are together. Prevention, in this case is the key until you get the help you need.
To assist the behaviourist and achieve a quicker resolution, start to teach the rescource guarding dog the 'sit and stay', which will definately be brought in.
You can find assistance at or else contact me via e-mail and let me know where you stay and i will try and put you in touch with somebody.
so sorry that I cannot help further via the forum, you need hands-on assistance, thanks Scotty
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.