Ask an expert

18 Mar 2003

Food obsession
Dear Doc

I have have always been a big person except for the ages between 1 and 12, I am 32 now. For the past 20 years life has been a living hell. When I was in my teens people used to say that I was big, but I wasn't all that bad. When that depressed me, I ate even more. I told myself that I can always diet later.

Years later after going on fruitless diets, I weigh 120 kg. I have not gone on a lot of diets in my life as they become difficult and I find it difficult to stick to a diet. I have not told anyone this, but I am a compulsive eater. I do not eat when there is a crowd, I only eat when I am alone.

I have tried weighless, but it didn't work, I found that I couldn't eat chocolates and sweets and all other sweet things. What I also like eating was ice cream, especially from McDonals. There is no way that I can pass McDonals and not buy an ice cream. On Saturdays I must have my dessert eg milktart & apple tart after food it doesn't matter how full I am.

During the week I do not binge so much, I have three meals which are not balanced and sometimes, I must have a snack between lunch and supper. I know it doesn't sound much but I feel like I am digging a hole for myself.

I can not stop myself, neither can my family. I do not have self control over these foods, I feel like they are starting to rule my life. I really want to stop eating and loosing weight. Please help

Answer 453 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Reader
Thank you for having the courage to tell me about your compulsion to eat and binge - you realise that this is the first tentative step towards breaking out of this vicious cycle? Please consult a clinical psychologist (look them up under Psychologist in the phone book), because your problem has deep underlying psychological components. You need to discover what is driving you to overeat and eliminate the stimulus that makes you want to self-destruct. You also need to consult a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings)) to help you to learn to eat normally again. If you live in the Cape you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic at (021) 797-1400 as they do have an Eating Disorder unit. They may also be able to refer you to other clinics in other parts of SA. Do this immediately so that you can free yourself of this dreaded disorder.
I am holding thumbs for you.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17879 votes