Question

Foods during pregnancy
I will be visiting South Africa in april for a family visit. In Holland we pregnant woman are told not to eat certain foodstuffs during the pregnancy. These are cheese made from raw milk, raw meat and fish, products with a lot of vit. A such as liver, preheated foodstuffs, medicins and last but not least alcohol. We are also advised to wash our greens very well and to do your gardening with gloves on.
When in SA I love biltong, barbequed meats and so on. I am very interested in diet prescriptions for pregnant south africans. I can't seem to find any information on this subject whilst it is a hot item here in holland.

Many thanks for your anwser.
Simone

Dear Simone
Congratulations on your pregnancy. The instructions issued in Holland are to prevent certain infections occurring such as Malta fever or brucellosis which is caused by a bacteria found in unpasteurised milk. Most milk used in South Africa is pasteurised, unless you happen to drink milk straight from the cow on a farm. The warnings about raw meat are related to potential infection with tape worm and Mad Cow Disease. In South Africa most meat is carefully inspected and you are not likely to get tapeworm from biltong. Thankfully we have not had any outbreaks of Mad Cow Disease. The other injunctions do apply and I have regularly warned readers not to take excessive doses of vitamin A (as found in codliver oil), alcohol (to prevent foetal alcohol syndrome) or any medicines not prescribed by the doctor, including over-the-counter ones. It is always prudent to wash all fruit and vegetables thoroughly. I think that the health authorities in Europe may be more sensitive to potential contaminants, etc, as a result of the various food-associated problems that have occurred such as Mad Cow Disease, etc.
Enjoy your stay in SA