Question

Foot sprain
Last week I jumped rope and somehow I hurt a muscle in my foot. It is the muscle between my big toe bone and the second tone.As soon as I just bent my foot, it hurts. So for the past week I could not go for a run on either the treadmill or on the road.How long will it take to recover and will I gain weight in that time?

Hi Mandy22

I think that for an acute injury like this, you should rest up for a minimum of a week, possibly two depending on the severity. I wish I could give you a specific number, but it's impossible, since I don't know what the injury is or how severe it may be. Perhaps the best is to see a physio or a doctor now, and save possible trouble later?

The rest won't cause weight gain, provided you are sensible in how you eat. Also, consider doing something other than running or walking, maybe swimming, even cycling. It's just a stop-gap until you do recover 100% and then you can resume normal activity. Don't despair, a lot of the time the rest actually does good, and it's not the end of your training aspirations!