Question

For Mich
Everything the others and CyberShrink said to you about accepting your son''s revelation that he''s gay is true, but I just wanted to say that I understand how shocked you may be.

And it''s not healthy to pretend you don''t feel that way, it''s just important to go and talk to someone who will help you cope.

Unfortunately, today, " gay"  is such a political issue that no-one acknowledges that a parent may feel real grief at the loss of future grandchildren etc.

And before anyone gets all " Sex In The City"  with me, wanting grandchildren and thinking of the future of the human race is a very normal bio-drive in any species. Mich - it will all be okay, but don''t let people make you ashamed to acknowledge your feelings.

I fully agree that you shouldn't simply pretend to feel Ok when you don't - but to work through this with a counsellor.

It is probably disappointing to you if you had very different hopes for him, for instance. And the situation remains complex, with the possibilities eventually, of gay marriage and adoption. Take your time and a counsellor can help you understand and work through your reactions, and to decide how you ultimately want to respond.