Question

Forceful German Sheperd
Our german sheperd is 9 years old and has recently started to force his way inside the house ( knows how to open all doors if unlocked) and then makes his mark. He does not listen to us when we ask him to move out - just finds a spot and does what he wants to do . We have a doberman puppy +- 1 years old that lives with us - he generally follows Dax's lead. Why is he doing this ?
cybervet

Dear Patty

It sound as if your German Sheperd is marking his territory. He could view that everything belongs to him. I would suggest you castrate him if he has not been done yet. This might not solve the problem due to his age. A dog is never too old to learn new tricks. I would suggest you try and find an animal behaviourist in your area that could do a consultation with you and give you some tips on how to gain control. Control is never done forcefully. If you use some positive reinforcement training, you will have a happier, calmer dog to manage. Please give me a telephone call on 083 324 8423.
I am based in Cape Town and would be able to give you a telephone number of someone in your area and also if you are further away.

Candice
Animal Behaviourist