Question

Frequents stool passing
Hi Doc,
I recently (about two months ago) started eating healthier by adding fruits and veggies to my diet, I also go to the gym almost everyday.

My problem now is that everytime after eating I HAVE TO pass stools (not loose or hard, just normal).
Yesterday alone I probably passed stools 5 times, is this normal?

Dear Concerned
I do think that passing a stool every time you eat something is abnormal. You may have inadvertently started eating too much dietary fibre or introduced a component like fructose (which is found in fruit) that you are intolerant to. You can try cutting out all the fruit for a 2 week period (while still eating vegetables and going to the gym), to see if you are sensitive to fruit which can indicate a fructose sensitivity. If you are still constantly passing stools despite removing fruit from your diet, then it may be advisable to have a medical checkup because you may be suffering from irritable bowel syndrome or another gastric condition. Also keep in mind that any other component of your diet such as sports drinks, vitamin and mineral supplements, esp herbal ones, can promote hyperactivity of the bowel.