Question

friend who wants more
I have been friends with this guy for almost 2 years. He was engaged and I have been single and am now currently in a relationship but it is on a rocky path which will probably end soon. This friend is hoping that when things end with my current bf, he and I will get together. We do get on really well but he has 8 month old twins and him and his ex have just parted and still need to legally sort out kids and other issues. I dont want to get involved in his mess. How do I tell him that I really like him but cant handle his baggage right now. I need to be on my own for a while to sort out my stuff. He is a really good friend tho.

He sounds a bit of an opportunist ? Always hesitate before starting ANY relationship with someone who has only recently broken up with someone else. And especially when there are still obvious complex issues for them to sort out.
Simply tell him, calmly, that you like him, and hope things work out for him, but he really has a whole lot to do, not only about the kids, but sorting himself out emotionally, before he or you will be ready to consider a more serious relationship.