Ask an expert

06 Dec 2005

Friend's child molested
My friend just found out that her daughter was being sexually abused by her own father. (full penetration took place) The little girl is only 6 years old. The parents are in the process of getting a divorce.

What can I do to help my friend- she's totally devistated....
Answer 329 views

01 Jan 0001

She should call the police and the child welfare authorities, and insist on a swift and careful investigation of these allegations --- and, if they prove true, rapid prosecution of the ape who did this. Also ask their help in seeing to i that the child is seen by a doctor experienced in these issues to examine her for possible damage and to collect possibly relevant evidence of what happened ; and by a child psychologist to start helping her to recover psychologically. And make sure that the mother herself sees a counsellor to support and assit her.
I hope this is not one of the occasional cases where false acusations of child abuse are made in the middle of a bitter fight between the divorcing adults.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9270 votes
66% - 17927 votes