Question

Frozen Embryos Growth after thaw
Hi Dr.

My embryos were frozen on day 3. Two survived the thaw on Tuesday morning, and were transferred on Wednesday morning. On the day of the thaw, Tuesday morning, there was 1 x 4 cell and 1 x 5 cell. The next day they were the same and hadn''t devided. Shouldn''t they have shown some sign of deviding after 24 hours?

Robyn

Dear Robyn

In general one would expect further growth of the embryos in most cases. However there are some situations were embryos might continue development after a lag phase. The important question is why were the embryos frozen at the cell stages that they were in as it is more common to freeze embryos at 8 cells or beyond which then allows for better survival and cleavage. Perhaps the embryo grade to start with was sub-optimal and necessitated early freezing. The overall prognosis in this situation is not very good but never the less there is still a small possibility of a pregnancy.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim