Question

Frozen or not-so-fresh?
Dear Dietdoc

Fresh veg is seriously expensive where I live and not really fresh anymore when it reaches my town because it's imported by road from South Africa. I prefer to buy stuff like broccoli, spinach and peas frozen and only the tougher things like potatoes and carrots fresh. I realise that properly fresh veggies are healthier than frozen, but how does frozen compare with "verlepte" old veggies when it comes to nutritional value?

Dear Shadow
Fresh vegetables have the highest nutrient content as you well know, but if the vegetables are transported for long period under less than optimal conditions (high temperatures, exposure the sunlight, etc) then using frozen vegetables is a better option because more of the nutrients will be preserved in the latter products. If you store the frozen vegetables properly (correct temperature and not longer than 3 months) and do not overcook them, then in your case I would recommend using frozen above, the 'verlepte' vegies.
Enjoy