Question

FRUIT SUGAR AND BROWN SUGAR
Hi DietDoc,
Can you please tell me, is it healthy to use fruit sugar?
Is it a better alternative to a brown sugar? What is the healthiest option. I always use brown unrefined sugar in cooking and baking, but what about fruit sugar, is it better or worse?
What sugar should I use in cooking and baking for toddler?
Thanks.

Dear Nat
I presume you mean fructose when you speak of 'fruit sugar'? If so, then fructose has a lower Glycaemia Index (23) than brown or white sugar (65, which is an intermediate GI). However, excessive intake of fructose can cause gastric discomfort and diarrhoea and there is some indication that it may affect the health of the eyes, so it is advisable not to use more than 20g per day. You can certainly use brown sugar when baking and if you want to sweeten foods such as porridge, etc. Most foods when eaten in moderation are suitable for adults and children.