Question

Fruitarian options???
Hi there!

Firstly to compliment all who work so hard to presenting such a wonderful webpage.

I am 19 yrs ols, partially vegetarian (only chicken) and like all women, WANT TO LOOSE WEIGHT!
I am 167cm and fluctuate between 55kg and 58kg.

As I am a dancer and part time model, my body is a very important element in my life, as well as constantly comparing myself to my fellow dancers.

My one friend has a beautiful body, she danced in NY, and follows a "fruit, vegetables, and broad beans" diet strictly- only problem is she is 21 and has not had her period in 2 years- I do not want to do anything detrimental to my health!

Yet, I would love to follow a FAT FREE diet so that I can be extremely healthy on the inside and out! ie, perfect skin, *no* cholestrol tec. Only problem is, I want to find out HOW safe it is to follow such a PURE diet!

MANY thanks!!!

Dear Dancer
I know that you are exposed to a million pressures to stay thin, get thinner, exercise more, etc, but as you say, at what cost to your health. At the moment your BMI varies between 19.7 and 20.8 which is well below the ideal of 22 for which you would have to weigh 61 kg! I think fruit, vegetables and broad beans are all wonderful, healthy foods, BUT if you only eat these foods you will get deficient in protein, iron, vit B12, essential fatty acids, calcium - the list goes on and on. Your friend is exhibiting one of the symptoms of an unbalanced diet - loss of normal female hormones and menstrual function, which by the way is also a symptom of anorexia. You really don't want to go that way and ruin your health and possibly jeopardise your chance to have children one day. I would like to encourage you NOT to try and lose weight and to rather eat a balanced diet which should contain some fat such as 'Lite' poly- or monounsaturated margarine or salad oils (esp olive oil), omega-3 enriched eggs and low-fat milk and dairy products (for the calcium), plus your fruit, veg and chicken. You probably exercise so much each day that there is no chance that you will gain weight. So resist these semi-hysteric women who will do anything to be as thin as a plank. Look after your health and also take a complete vitamin and mineral supplement (just to make sure about the iron and B12. Believe in yourself and your own beauty and forget about the others.
And thank YOu for your kind words, which make it all worthwhile.
Take great care