Question

Fungal Infection on Dog?
Hi there. I have 2 sterilised female mini daschunds. The one seems to have developed an infection the size of a 1 cent piece on her side. It was definately a small abcess in the beginning because I could feel the "liquid" under the skin. Then one day it was flat and started forming a scab, so I assumed the "abcess" had drained. Now it looks like ringworm, but I assumed if it was ringworm, it would infect us as well as my other dog and my cats? Is this true? It seems to have formed a flaky scab and the hair is falling out on it, but I suspect that is because she keeps scratching it. I do have human ointment for "general" fungal infections - can I try this and see if it helps? There are no other "sores" on her and all the other animals have no sign of anything either. What else could it be? It does not look like just a plain scab. It has also not gotten any bigger nor any smaller.
cybervet

Sorry for the delay, I missed this post. Possible causes include something simple like an insect bite, a little pustular infection, an injury, or fungal infection (ringworm, like you suspect) and mite infection (Demodex).

Although ringworm is contagious to other dogs and people, it will not necessarily spread, and this process may also take time. The only way to make sure about the cause is to ask your vet to do a microscopic examination of the little sample of here from the affected area. He can then also give you the correct treatment. Obviously, if it is stable and not getting worse but seems to be getting possibly better, you may just leave it and see if it does not heal all by itself.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town