Question

Gain weight
I am 24 years old and underweight, 45 kg, now help me what should i do or take to pick up some few kilos?
If you can give all the deatils and if there is some tablets that i should buy please do so.
Even If I have to order it from South Africa, cause I am in Namibia and I have tries some phamacies and they advised me to use pariatin. It did nothing all it does it to make me sleepy, no change.
I would appriciate you help.
K......

Dear Kavute
If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Fresenius Kabi have a supplement called Fresubin (with or without fibre) that can assist with this problem. Phone Magda on (011) 203-2000 or 083-603-2231 (South African telephone numbers) and ask her about this and other Nutritional Supplements and if Fresenius has a branch in Namibia.