Question

Gained over 20 kg in the last 18 months
Dear Doc

I'm new to the forum, and writing out of desperation, I gained over 20kg over the last 18 months due to stress, I'm on cypramil 20ml daily. My partner of 3 years, has stiopped being intimate with me at all, hugging me is a challenge for him, his parents will be visting soon & his embarrassed to introduce me. He wants us to "take a break" Please help I'm desperate

Dear Nicci
I am so sorry to hear about your problems. Stress/depression and the anxiolytic that you are taking can cause weight gain. I would recommend that you see a clinical psychologist ASAP (ask your dr to refer you or look in the Yellow Page) and that you also contact a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). You need expert help right now to sort out your psychological problems and to lose weight using a well balanced diet that is individually worked out for you. Don't try fat diet or diet pills as these may make you feel even more stressed. Consider taking up a relaxing type of exercise like yoga which also helps to calm the mind and body.
I do hope you will get over this stressful period in your life.