Ask an expert

12 Jun 2011

General Health Enquiry
My father, 72, pensioner with no medical aid. Was admitted to Helen Joseph Hospital in JHB, last week Friday. I had to request an ambulance to transport him. He complained of severe lower back pain as well as his right foot that was painful. He has post traumatic osteo arthritis. Initially he was admitted for kidneystones. Now we are not sure what his actual diagnosis is. His foot/ankle has swollen severely. On Tuesday we were advised he is in a semi-coma. He is in and out of conciousness, he does not talk sense, is in severe pain, white cell count is high.
We had the following diagnoseses given to us:
Kidneystones, viral infection, spider bite?
We actually have no clue what is going on.
May we request a genuine, qualified doctor, who knows what he is doing, to go see my father there and advise us what to do?

Answer 347 views

01 Jan 0001


You may certainly call in the services of a specialist of your choice to evaluate your father's condition. Is it possible that your father had a stroke? I suggest that they do a CT scan to exclude this possibility.

Please be so kind as to provide me with feedback.

Good luck

Dr Anrich
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.