Question

General Questions about jogging...
I have recently taken up jogging and feel I am making good progress. There are however 2 things I am unclear on:

Firstly, when I feel confident that I can push myself a bit harder, is it preferable to stick to my current distance and run faster, or should I stick to my rythm and increase the distance?

Secondly, how can I prevent/treat shin splints?

Thanks,
Cobus

Hi Cobus

The golden rule is to never increase your distance by more then 10% per week, so sure, you can increase your distance gradually, if you feel up to it. The first 12 weeks are the "danger time" for shin spliunts, since the bones adapt more gradually than the heart to exercise. Avoid this, by running on softer surfaces or in the forest (better shock absorption).

Check Shape up for Summer on the home page for good running programmes as well as Get Sporty (Get running).

Go well!