Question

28 Oct 2009

German Measles
Hi, My daughter came into contact with German Measles on the 17th.

Would it be safe to say that if she hasn' t shown a rash by Friday (this will be 13 days) that she hasn' t got the disease.

I want to go visit my sisters new born on the weekend and I just want to be safe - or should I wait another week?

Thank you for your advise in the past.

Dear Topaz-sa
The incubation time of German measles can be 2-3 weeks. If you have had a rubella vaccination before then you will not get infected and it is safe for you to visit your sister. Rubella spreads by droplets ( coughing and sneezing) so even if your daughter has been infected, you will not transmit the disease just by contact if you are immune.