Question

Getting over a breakup
Dear CS and Other readers

Why is it that it is so hard at times to just get over a breakup even though you know that it' s for the good and you are better off!! Is it that people or let me say I am just a sucker for punishment, could it be the ideal of having a relationship that keeps me hanging on. What on earth could it be? What is the possibility of a person just not being able to handle certain things in life without help or am I just straight DUMB or messed up. I find myself going through so many emotions and with one question echoing in my mind, WHY?? WHY DID THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN?

DO I need therapy or WHAT ELSE CAN I DO? I know that I am so worth everything and deserve so much more but then why am i torturing myself so much. I even think that in the end its not about him anymore then what is it about? There' s a lot more that has hapnd in my life not sure if that is what' s affecting me so much and making me rather dwell on the breakup then dealing with it.

I' ve always thought of myself as being a level headed person, who would analyse scenarios and find solutions or atleast try and find it. But these days all that happens is that my heart aches and aches.

Its like getting over a death or any other major loss --- there's a big difference between your intellectual knowing that it's over, and your emotional responses to that --- protect, anger, denial, sadness, searching, whatever. And the WHY question is one you return to several times, as you work through all this. Respect your emotions, but don't act on them --- going back to a hopeless failed relationship does not make you feel better, only worse. Counselling can sometime help if you're spinning your wheels in your own efforts.