Question

Gland??

The other night I was rubbing the back of my neck and suddenly felt a limp. Its at the hairline at the back of my neck. Its not sore, but it sticks out, its about 5mm long I'd say. I want to my GP, he felt it and said he thinks its a swollen gland and that I musn't worry about it. I just wanted to ask you, should I get a sonar on something like this? How does one know the difference between a cyst and a swollen gland? I just want to be sure that I am not going to have problems further down the line...thanks for your time!

Dear Mary
the glands in the neck at the back and at the front help protect you against infections you come into contact with by eating and breathing and they are from time to time slightly swollen. Just keep an eye on it, if it becomes bigger, one can reconsider to see if removing it or taking a biopsy may be necessary. A sonar won't tell you much. A Gland feels "rubbery" and is usually unmovable and a cyst feels like a small balloon full of water and can be moved from side to side.