Question

Glandular Fever
My son (35) was diagnosed and treated for Tonsilitis because of the small sores he had on his tonsils. Then his face and hands began to swell and he went to the hospital to have some tests done. His white blood cell count was very low and his liver enzimes were very high. He also had a severe headache and his glands were swollen. The doctor then told him that all the simptoms pointed to Glandular Fever, but that they could do nothing for him because it is caused by a virus and must burn out by itself. They only gave him something for the pain. He did not have any fever. The next day he felt better, but today his tonsils are still swollen and covered in white sores, and even his gland are more swollen. He still has no fever, but can hardly talk because of the pain in his throat. Could he perhaps have a secondary infection (then why no fever?) or could the white sores on his tonsils be a fungus? Could Glandular Fever cause any hart problems?
Cyberdoc

Dear Me Botha

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

I suggest that a swab of your son's tonsils is done, in order to establish if the white sores is caused by a bacterial or fungal infection.

Glandular fever can be a secondary infection and will have no effect on his heart. This is a viral infection with no definate treatment and should be waited out, as informed by the ER doctor. Unfortunately, I am unable to advise why your son does not have a fever.

I recommend that he takes a strong oral anti-biotic (after receiving the results of the swab). He can immediately start using Localbiotal spray for his throat pain, as well a strong analgesic, i.e. Myprodol Capsules.

Kind regards

Dr Anrich Burger