Question

Glucophage whilst breastfeeding
Dear Pharmacist

I have a 9 month old baby whom I breastfeed as much as i can although my supply is not good at all. She takes formula for most of her feeds.

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance when I was trying to conceive her and put on glucophage/metformin. I found that when I started taking the meds my frequent bouts of vaginal thrush which without fail, preceded my period each month, came to an end.

My period came back last month and without fail I had terrible thrush (I also have a feeling that it was also execerbated by the pills [microval] I have started taking)

Is it safe for me to go back to taking the glucophage/metformin or should I wait till baby is weaned?

Thanking you in advance for your guidance.
Pharmacist
pharmacist

Hi Z
It has been used before during lactation, but only when essential and should only be used after discussing it with your doctor. The effect of the small amount of drug excreted in breastmilk on the infant have not been determined