Question

Glucophage/metformin whils breastfeeding
Dear Gynaedoc

When I was trying to conceive my second baby my Ferftility Specialist put me on glucophage/metformin after I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and when I fell pregnant I stayed on the meds for 12 weeks. This helped a lot with my frequent bouts of vaginal thrush which preceded my period each month.

My little one is 9 months old and I want to go back to taking the meds. My period has also just returned and as usual I had thrush a week before they came. That''s how I knew they were on their way. I breast feed my little one as much as I can although my supply is not that great and she takes formula as well. Is it safe for me to go resume taking the meds?

Thanking you in advance for your guidance.

The concentration of metformin which gets into the breastmilk is low. However, you should weigh up the small risks with whether you want to continue breastfeeding at this stage.