Question

glutamine and training
hey doc,
im a 19 year old hardgainer bodybuilder,and have been training for about 3 years. i train very hard and feel i need to increase my supplement intake in order for my body to recuperate better after strenous training . i am keen to go on glutamine ,after reading a lot of good things about this amino acid. i currently eat 6 high carb and high protein meals a day , and little fat. and i take a pure protein supplement after training with a high glycemic carb ( for the insulin response). i wanna know weather you recommend i take this supplement and how much and when the perfect time to take it is . it is recomended after training and/or before sleep . what do you suggest?

Hi Jonny

At this point there appears to be no definitive research to necessitate supplementation with glutamine as a method of boosting immune system function i.e recovery after strenuous exercise. The bottom line is to eat well (which you seem to be doing), ensure lots of variety in your intake (do you do this?), consume sufficient high quality protein to meet your training needs (it seems you do), and rest up to avoid overtraining syndrome (perhaps you need to look at incresing your recovery time - since nothing helps recovery more than rest).

Also realise that animal proteins are rich in glutamine. Therefore, athletes consuming high-protein, high-calorie diets would be the least likely to need glutamine supplementation. Glutamine is absorbed efficiently by the intestine when present in the diet, so all in all, I think you can obtain adequate supplies from the diet rather than having to fork out on a supplement, which is probably unnecessary.

Good luck.