Question

gluteal cramps
i do not cramp easily but tend to get gluteal cramps during certain types of exercise (ballet leg-raises specificaly). i dont cramp anywhere else realy except my feet. are there any specific exercises that could reduce cramps to this area and is there any dietary advice you could give?

Hi Rebecca

Your best bet is to stretch the gluteal area, since cramping is often caused by a neuromuscular problem, which might be caused either by fatigue, or a familial predisposition to cramp.
I suggest you log onto www.health24.co.za and join the free gym-based interactive exercise programme called "War ON Wobbles". There you will find a comprehensive exercise programme as well as all the gluteal stretches. Alternatively, try "Shape up for Summer" which has a range of resistance exercises and stretches you can do from home.

From a dietary advice point of view, please write to Dietdoc for advice.

Good luck.