Question

grandson with aspergers
I am sure my 7yr old grandson has Aapergers. He has every characteristic. He lined things up, had a funny way of speaking, is brialliant at maths but cannot hold a conversation. He is obsessed with running and speakers. That is all he talks about. He asks everyone how fast they can run over and over and over but is not interested in the answer. He doesn''t listen, is very agressive towards his younger brother and makes odd sounds. He has no concept of the give and take of normal conversation. He has trouble falling asleep and wakes very early. He doesn''t seem to understand others feelings. He does not play imaginitively, or play with other children. He is just " weird" ! My daughter does not want to have him assessed and labeled - she thinks he''s gifted so hence his " weirdness" . Help!
Autism Spectrum Expert Forum
Autism Spectrum Expert Forum

dear christine
he most certainly seems to have most of the characteristics. he is gifted but unfortunately his social issues will only get worse as he gets older and he will miss out on the joy of spending time with friends. a good site to look at www.rdiconnect.org - RDI or Relationship Development Intervention is wonderful, fun and a couple of hours a week sees great gains in social motivation and skills.