Question

Grinding of teeth!
Hi Doc!
For years now i' ve been grinding my teeth to the point that my jaw hurts. This is having a bad effect on my teeth as well on me.
Can you tell me why am i doing this? Could it be stress related? And how do i stop this? This is really most annoying as this grinding can be very loud and wakes up the household..
Please please help. I really wish to stop this practice..
Thanking you.
Cme

Dear Cme
It could be caused by underlying stress or tension or just habit. Your dentist can make you a bite plate that helps to protect your teeth and to take the stress of the jaw joint. It may also help to take medication to relax you - low dose Trepilene at night is not addictive and works well. (You will need a prescription)