Question

Group life cover discrimination?
Hi, my employer enforces compulsory membership upon married male employees of a member funded Wife's Life Assurance Scheme. This scheme pays the male employee twice his annual salary in the event of his wife's death. In this company a married woman is not allowed to join this scheme. Upon enquiry through senior management why married woman were not allowed to join the scheme I was advised that because men normally die younger than woman do it would be too costly for the scheme. I find this sexist and discriminatory, but I am unsure what the law prescribes. Can you tell me whether, as a female, I have a legal leg to stand on in trying to join the scheme through my company? Thankyou.
Labour lawyer
LABOUR LAWYER

This scheme does sound discriminatory and should be reported to the Pension Fund Ombudsman

MICHAEL BAGRAIM