Question

"Growing" Pains
Dear Doc,

I'm almost 27 years old and experience a very similar feeling to "growing" pains on most evenings and even sometimes during the day, regardless of whether I exercised or not. It feels as if my actual bones are aching from the knee down. No amount of massaging eleviates the feeling. One of my friends said that I might have a defficiency of some sort (e.g. calcium or salt). I've had shin splints (refer to "pain in shin bones lizzie 26/11/2002") in 1998, but the pain I have is not concentrated on the shin only. Can you offer advice?

Nat, it’s difficult to say what the problem is without being able to examine you. It might be due to an electrolyte imbalance, a viral infection, fibromyalgia, arthritis, and a host of other diseases. The best would be to see your doctor and have it sorted out. Good luck.