Question

growth in ear
Hi Doc, nice to have you back online. I have an adopted foundling scottish terrier (no idea how old, but he seems to be young still, very playfull) Recently I noticed a 'growth' inside his right ear, about the size of a half a wallnut, and at times it seems to cause discomfort as he shakes his head and utters like a whining, talking type of noise, but then when you touch him he gets all happy, jumps up and down, and really starts talking. What do you think it could be? Also would like to know the name of a good product for fleas, as I have been battling to get rid of them.

Thanks,
Janet
cybervet

It will be best to have this growth seen to, to determine what it is and how to treat it. This is not a common condition with common causes, therefore specific examination is necessary. Rather take it to your vet for examination. You can then also obtain some of the very effective anti flea remedies available from your veterinarian. There are several of these on the market, and they are safe and very effective, generally much more so than the supermarket varieties.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town