Question

Gym
Hi There,

I have an hour exercise program, with rest periods in between. I rest for the appropriate amount of time, but sometimes finish my entire program in half the time I''m supposed to.
My only guess is that I''m executing the exercises way too fast. How long should one rep take? Also, is it bad to do it fast, or does it have the same effect as doing it slower?

Hi Carol

Must be - if your rest periods are right, then it has to come from the active part. I'm not sure exactly what you're doing, it sounds like some kind of weight lifting or maybe a circuit session?

They say that the optimal rhythm of a rep is 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down. So imagine a dumbbell curl - up for 2 seconds, down for 2 seconds. Some people use 3-3, i've even seen 5-5. A lot depends on the purpose. If you are training for power, then it's as fast as possible.

The problem is that people "bounce", which defeats the purpose of focusing on the muscles. You have to be controlled - it isolates the muscle more effectively, so I'd try on that 2-2 pattern at first, maybe slowing down even more later.

Ross