Ask an expert

06 Mar 2003

Gynae appointment
Iam 20 years of age & i would like when a woman should see a gynae? Iam sexually active & Iam worried about cervical cancer. Please help
Answer 382 views

01 Jan 0001

You should have a pap smear within a year of becoming sexually active, although the chances of cervical problems under the age of 25 years is extremely low. This does not have to be done by a gynaecologist. It can be done by a GP or trained clinic sister.

Best wishes
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9323 votes
67% - 18738 votes