Question

Gynae Recommendation in P.E.
I would really appreciate it if anyone could advise a really good gynae in Port Elizabeth. It will be the first time I visit a gynae, so I would like to visit a female doc if possible. Also, what can I expect from my first visit...is an internal examination always expected at first visits? My husband and I are wanting to start a family soon. I know I should have visited much sooner, but everything seems healthy with me, and my husband has been my only sexual partner, and vice versa...does this help in anyway with regard to everything been healthy and normal? Will the gynae be able to advise when and if I am ovulating, and do you possibly know if most medical aids cover these costs?

I am really nervous, so any advise would be very much appreciated.

I don't know any female gynaecologists in Port Elizabeth. You could try looking in the Find a Doctor section on the left hand side of the page.
The gynae visit will involve taking a detailed history, examination, including internal examination and pap smear. The female reproductive system cannot really be examined without doing this, so there would be no point in visiting a gynaecologist if you do not have an internal examination. This is often a bit uncomfortable but should not be painful. If you have a regular cycle, the chances are good that you are ovulating, but this can only be known for sure by having a blood test. This is usually not necessary unless you are struggling to fall pregnant.