Question

Haemorrhoids
Dear CyberDoc

Hope you enjoyed your time off and have a good 2003!

I went back to my specialist surgeon last week for my haemorrhoids problem, because I was still having rectal bleeding. I had a sigmoidoscopy done in November and he was happy with the results. He said I have internal haemorrhoids and prescribed Proctosedyl ointment (he seemed very anti-surgery unless it was really necessary and said that he felt that the more minor procedures such as tying etc. did not work successfully). I have to use it at night for a month. I don’t know whether I am using the ointment correctly. The instructions say "for deep application, attach cannula and insert to full extent. Squeeze the tube gently from the bottom whilst withdrawing." The cannula has a closed end but a small opening on both sides. My question is (excuse my ignorance!), is the ointment actually being administered, even if there is no opening at the end of the cannula? I am just a bit puzzled and wonder if I am doing something wrong! Also, can I use the ointment around the outside of the anus, as I am continuing to get redness, itchiness, pain and slight swelling around that area. My doctor only mentioned using it internally.

Thanks for your advice.

Anxious, the ointment should come out the tip when you squeeze the tube. If nothing comes out, you will have to open the tip that doesn’t screw to the tube.
You can use some of the ointment on the outside with safety. Good luck.