Question

Haemorrhoids??
I’m too embarrassed to tell anyone, let alone my family doctor. My youngest son is now just over a year old (by the way, I’m 28). Ever since I was pregnant with him I became constipated – we do lead healthy lives, eat right, fruit and veggies with every meal, and I try to drink at least 2L water a day (not that I drink 2L everyday – but I try!). My gynae prescribed Fybergel, which I used, and my constipation ended.

Recently (about for 2 months now) every time I’m finished …. there is blood on the toilet paper. It doesn’t hurt and I’m not constipated at all, but the blood is still there every time! What do I do? How serious is it? Is there something I can do at home to fix it? I’m really too embarrassed to tell anyone. I am not currently on any medication, my weight is constant and I’m in excellent health.

Cloey, it’s probably just haemorrhoids, but unfortunately it may also be something more serious. It might be due to a fissure, a polyp or even cancer. The bet would be to see a surgeon and have it checked out. Good luck.
PS I wrote something on haemorrhoids a while ago and if you’re interested in a copy you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za.