Question

Hair loss
This is a toughie. I am very stressed. In menopause. On drugs that cause hair loss. I have a large mop of hair, but one patch is sore on my scalp and I am losing hair there. My GP is going bald and said he is the wrong one to ask. He told me to see a trichologist and my gynae told me to go to a dermatologist.
I do not really have money to waste. What would my best bet be and do these people understand that stress affects the hair? Physical or mental and what doctor to start with?
Can anybody recommend someone in the Western Cape near to Table View or Southern Suburbs?

PL< sorry to hear about this, but not really a psychiatric question, is it ? Needs to be discussed with your gynae ( doe you HAVE to be on drugs which cause hair-loss ? ) and dermatologist. A dermatologist is a specialist in the skin and all its attachments like hair, and the right person to see. I see no reason to assume there's any significant mental problem at play here, unless you have formed the habit of tugging at and pulling out your own hair, in which case some psuychologists might be able to help, and the dermatologist, having ideentified this as the problems, should know some with relevant experience in thsi field. I don't recemmend a trichologist at all - NOT a recognized or properly certifed member of the health professions.