Question

Hairloss and flacky dry patches on skin

I''m really hoping that you will be able to help me. I''m a 26 year old female and I''ve been suffering with severe hairloss since may this year. I''ve been to a dermatologist and she adviced me that it is female pattern baldness, probably caused by a hormone imbalance. I asked her if it could not be eczema but she said nothing indicated that it is that.

My scalp burns and itches, or it itches so much it burns ( i hope tha makes sense, at my hairline there is the clear skin scaps, almsost like fish scales, also on my face I have these funny weird dry patches.

Could it be eczema? What can I do to prevent the hairloss and stop the burning of my scalp,

My hair is falling out in clumps and you can see the hair thinning.

Is there something I can get over a counter with out a precribtion.

Thanks so much

J
Anti-ageing expert
anti-ageing expert

Hi Jo, thank you for the question and I am truly sorry to hear about the unfortunate process you are going through.

My advice would be to consult a second dermatologist for another opinion as there are a number of reasons for hair loss and they should be 100% investigated and treatment instituted.

The following are causes for hair loss:

Telogen effluvium: stress, trauma, chronic systemic diseases, crash dieting

Androgenic alopecia: usually older

Sex hormone abnormalities: these need to be examined with a blood test and even an endocrinologist referral should be considered if abnormal results are found

Iron deficiency: a blood test is necessary to determine this cause

Thyroid disease: a blood test is necessary to determine this cause

Connective tissue diseases: such as SLE

Alopecia areata: autoimmune condition

Drug induced alopecia: retinoids (Roaccutane)

Following from the above and considering the itching, burning symptoms you are experiencing I would insist on everything being investigated (you can print the above list and discuss it with the dermatologist).

If all is normal and no specific cause is found there are certain lasers that have shown to increase hair growth and I would ask for a direct referral to the doctor who uses these lasers.