Question

hayfever??
Is it possible for dogs to get hayfever? in the same week that i woke sneezing from pollen i noticed my dog getting snuffly and he has a blocked nostril...but just the one. he sneezes a lot. but is happy otherwise, but he does sneeze more when we go to the park. i see his one eye is also a bit red so i put eye ointment in it and it looking better but the one nostril is stil blocked a bit??

Hi Gina

Dogs like humans can develop allergies.

Given the clinical presentation I think that something else is going on. The reason being is that the condition that you are explaining is unilateral (one side) and not bilateral (both sides).

You have not identified how frequent/violent the sneezing is or the type of discharge from the noise so generally the problem could be:

a) Ocular - the tear duct discharges into the nostril. If there is excessive tear production then you will see a greater clear discharge from the nostril.

b) Pathology in the frontal sinus

c) Anatomical narrowing of the nasal septum

d) Pathology in one of the nostrils

There are numerous reasons for an underlying pathology and this could include a foreign body such as a grass seed, an infectious process - bacterial (usually secondary infection) /fungal - e.g. aspergillosis or even a mass such as a nasal polyp/tumor.

If you are concerned then please have a check-up at the vet. Note that you must inform them of the frequency