Question

He touches himself ALL THE TIME!!
Hi doc. I posted this ? on Man talk and it was suggested I ask you. My new bf touches himself all the time.. when he reads he plays with himself, when he watches tv he plays with himself, after sex he plays with himself... is this normal? He is 41.... I have asked him about it and his answer was " it feels nice" !! We have sex sometimes 5 x per day. I am starting to feel inadequate!!

I think that the frequency of self-touch and frequency of sex may be linked but not necessarily so...If he is touching to the point that it is masturbating then it may be that he is used to very high levels of stimulation. The frequency of sex is quite high, but then you are in a new relationship, so if that level is ok for you, then it may well be okay. I would be interested to know how he responds if you don't want sex - does he have to stimulate himself? If so, then does he do so as you described, or does he access porn? In this scenario I would suggest an assessment by a professional - if he won't go, then you go to ascertain whether your concerns are valid.

If he is simply 'playing' but not stimulating per se, then it may be just for comfort and this may be more of a 'socially undesirable thing' than a problematic sexual matter...I wonder what he does in company, or in at work...?