Question

Head Lice
My nieces have arrived from Cape Town with head lice. We have treated this with a recomended shampoo. My question is :
Do we now have to treat all pillow cases, fluffy toys etc. Can head lice live in an environment such as a fluffy toy where there are no nutriants off which to feed?
Also would putting these toys etc in the tumble dryer make a difference? What degree of heat would be required to kill the parasite or must all articles be soaked in the medicated shampoo?
Is it advisable to repeat the shampoo treatment to ensure all the lice are now dead?
Do lice jump from head to head or are others infected by direct contact?
How do we prevent the children becomming reinfected once thet are back in school in Cape Town where this appears to be a recurrent problem?

Sue, washing and tumble drying or dry cleaning everything will be adequate. There is no need for special solutions.
Lice can live for long periods and when things get too tough, they lay eggs.
You can repeat the treatment after 3 days just to make sure.
Lice are spread by direct contact with a person or object. It’s difficult to prevent contact, but you can try to prevent it by washing and combing the children’s hair every night. Medical prevention is possible for up to 8 weeks (Lyclear®). Good luck.